Sunday, October 26, 2008

Misspent Saturdays...

Went on a recon mission to Ft. Lauderdale/Davie area yesterday. I was looking for two stores (with a possible third if things didn't turn out right). I checked out The Adventure Game Store and War & Pieces. First stop was War & Pieces, I had emailed them concerning their 40K events and received a fast response from Sandy, one of the owners. So I graced them with my presence first.

Upon entering I was greeted by the guy at the counter, and within 10 seconds of wandering over to the Warmachine/Hordes display I was addressed by a player, "What faction do you play?" (Awesome signs and portents!).

W&P has a HUGE selection of Privateer Press merchandise, almost EVERY blister on their pegboard, all the books in great condition and ready for sale.

Hung out for a bit talked with some of the players and staff then headed to Adventure Game Store.

Adventure was nice, the people were friendly, they were having a 20% off sale on all their Privateer stuff, but it had been picked over, and nothing I wanted at this juncture was available. They *did* have a cool collection of out of print games (GW & MB's Battle Masters, reminded me of HeroQuest days!), but I digress. Table space was limited (perhaps due to the CCG tournament being held, they didn't have any terrain out), but they did have a leader board for Wings of War which I found interesting as I couldn't find a copy of the game on the shelf. All in all, a smaller store, smaller selection, and more dedicated to CCG's. I may return to pick up a board game in the future though.

Then I went back to W&P and watched two games. I watched a beginner game of Khador vs. Skorne. Then a more advanced, tourney-prep game of Cryx vs. Skorne. I got to glean quit a bit of knowledge from the players and met some new people to play with. It seems the Warmachine/Hordes crrew gets quite a bit of playtime there. I look forward to playing.

I also picked up a new model while there. I really wanted to be able to build a model and don't want to wait for my warpack to come. I was torn between three models:

+Dire Troll Mauler
+Hoarluck Doomshaper
+Borka Kegslayer

In the end I decided on Borka, even though I don't have any units as of yet, it will allow me to change the fighting style of the models I get in my warpack. Next model purchase will be one of the following:

+Dire Troll Mauler
+Trollkin Champions
+Krielstone Bearer & Scribes
+Hoarluck Doomshaper

Anyways, I unpacked Borka last night, cleaned what tabs/flash/mold lines there were (very little), dry-fitted him, then put him in a bath to wash any mold release off of him.
He's drying and getting ready to assemble tonight or later this week.

No comments: