Sunday, October 13, 2013

10/11 Game vs Cygnar

Ok, playing against pHaley is like playing against an old Stasis deck in MtG. Wow.

Got a game in with Adam on Friday at PPF. I did *much* better than I had previously. I remembered not to Fury-screw Borka. I remembered to cast defensive spells. I remembered my vengeance moves. I woulda rocked face if it wasn't for such a shit match-up for me.

Adam wasn't prepared for a 50pt list so I went down to a 35pt list:
Points: 34/35
Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Pyre Troll (5pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 3 Stone Scribes (3pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)

Adam's list:
Points: 35/35
Captain Victoria Haley (*5pts)
* Stormwall (19pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
* Captain Jonas Murdoch (2pts)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)

He won deployment and first turn. He moved up a bit and threw out some covering fire. Nobody checked but I think we made a mistake and made the covering fire a 4" template instead of the 3" template.  Oh well, next time.
My turn, I screwed up, I ran my fenns up and didn't have range with Borka to cast Iron Flesh, also didn't leave room between my champs to cast between them.  Next time, I'll keep the champs in a 2 and 3 man groups to allow for the B2B ARM bonus and still allow me to hit units beyond them with spells.
Afraid of taking POW12 covering fire I stopped my movements at the covering fire templates.
At this point I realized that I had lost the game, if I was too afraid to charge through the templates and engage the damn jack I would never expect to take on Haley and finish her off.
Mercifully the guy who owned the portable board  needed to leave, I conceded the game to Adam and explained that I knew he had me dead-to-rights. He apologized for playing Haley against me to which I told him that it wasn't necessary, I saw that I had played a better game than my last and had learned more.

Then we sat down and played a game of High Command Cryx (Me) vs his Menoth (he got me again).
All-in-all it was a good night.

No comments: