Sunday, October 6, 2013

Welcome back mister kott-air!


Well, where to begin, again?
 Same guy, same trolls. I had decided to take a step away from wargaming to pursue interests in costuming and as both are not cheap hobbies, I decided costuming would take precedent. The past few months have seen my interest in the costuming wane and a renewed interest in minis gaining again.

I went out to my FLGS, picked up the MKII rulebook and my faction deck. I'm beginning to get back into Filthy, Dirty Hordes again :) My FLGS (Past, Present, Future comics, in Davie, FL, you guys rock) was very welcoming to a new/returning player, I've had multiple, multiple offers in the past months to come in and get a refresher game, fill in my knowledge gaps for MKII and have a good time.

 Finally this past Friday, I packe dup my trolls and went on down and got in a game. What a great time. Thanks Charles!

I know I made a bunch of HUGE noob mistakes, and I'll document them here and learn from them (roll the tape!)

Charles and I played a 50 point match, my Trolls against his Menoth (I may be inaccurate on his menoth, bear with me while I get back to this whole thing)

My force:
Points: 49/50
Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Pyre Troll (5pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 3 Stone Scribes (3pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Trollkin Long Riders (Leader and 2 Grunts) (7pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)
Horthol, Long Rider Hero (5pts)

Charles played something like this:
Points: 48/50
Harbinger of Menoth (*5pts)
* Crusader (6pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Avatar of Menoth (11pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
* Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer (2pts)
The Covenant of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal Mechanik (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vessel of Judgement (9pts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer (2pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

We played a scenario with 2x 12" circle control zones. I thought I could deploy heavy on one flank, roll through one side and make my way across to the other, holding or contesting at least one of the control zones and making my way to the other.  I fucked up, deployed poorly for what I thought in my head and then tried to change up my plan mid-game. It didn't work out well.

We ended up on the bottom of turn 2 (my half of the turn, he had feated Harby so I couldn't get into the kill box without taking POW14 fire damage to Borka. I needed to get my Fennblades out of the way so I could do that, they all took the POW14 Harby feat to the face, and I made 1 tough roll. 7 Fenns ate it.  Not my dice' proudest moments.

Lessons learned:

  1. Make a battle plan, and stick to it. Be somewhat flexible, but do not try to re-invent the wheel.
  2. Move your army forward. If I hadn't been stuck outside of the kill box, I could have sat still or moved laterally and dealt with the feat.
  3. Remember your spells.  I didn't cast Mosh pit once in the entire game. I used the +STR buff from the Stone Scribe elder once.  I didn't feat. 
  4. Don't think so much about it. I was brain burned after the one game that I didn't want to get a second one in. I wish I had.
  5. Harby's feat is a bitch to infantry heavy armies.

No comments: