Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Grissel 500 point list

I'm working on improving my playing and I like to think I've improved quite a bit over the past weeks, however I'm still struggling in games.  I'm playing at 500 points with casters like Grim and Borka.  Anyhoo, my friendly neighborhood PG pulled me aside and gave me some sagelike advice which he had received from a more experienced Troll player.  Try Grissel.  It felt like the whisper you hear in Field of Dreams..."if you use her, wins will come..."

So, Gabe called me with an idea for a list that I am working through, here's the current version:

Army Points: 495
Victory Points: 18

Name - Cost - VP
Grissel Bloodsong - 70 - 5
Troll Axer - 72 - 2
Fell Caller - 35 - 1
Trollkin Hero - 38 1
Trollkin Champions - 106 - 3
Trollkin Champions - 106 - 3
Krielstone Bearer and Stone Scribes (8 pts.) - 50 - 2
Stone Scribe Elder - 18 - 1

And I like it with one exception: The Axer feels out of place.  I have to look up the animus rules, for some reason I think I can cast an animus on multiple models while only tapping a single warbeast for it.  For some reason I seem to think that once I cast it on another model, the previous model loses the animus.
Back to the subject, the Axer feels out of place, I understand using his Rush animus to allow my Champs to jump out of the trees with +5SPD but I think maybe a Pyre Troll would fit in better and give me a bit more ranged support.
The Pyre Troll would be able to use Grissel's Calamity spell to essentially bump up his RAT and the POW of the Pyre Troll's AOE attach to softn them up for the Champs to run in and wreckfacelawlz.  (sorry couldn't help it)
If I can spam the animus all over a unit the Rush animus will be good against most things, I think the Flaming Fists would be best against hard, multi-wound targets like 'Beasts and 'Jacks.

Troll Axer: +1 Wound, +1MAT, +3ARM, Thresher, Rush animus
Pyre Troll: +1DEF, Spew Fire (Crit Fire), 2x Claws, Flaming Fists animus

What are your thoughts between the Troll Axer and the Pyre Troll in this list?

No comments: