Friday, December 5, 2008

Guess Who's Back/Borka's Back/Back Again

So, I've been talking to Guy, the Khador player who killed me with Vlad last week. He told me how hard of a game he has against Grimmy. So I'm thinking I'll try out Borka finally.

Thinking of the following lists:
  • Borka Kegslayer
    • +Pyg Keg Carrier

  • Dire Troll Mauler
  • Winter Troll
  • Trollkin Longriders (3)


The other option is to drop the Longriders for a Troll Axer which would have less bodies on the field, but provide a cool animus.
The Longriders, in turn, would allow for a cool (pun intended) area of effect for the Winter Troll's animus.
In writing this post I think that the Longriders is the best choice as it seems to be a better toolbox.

Benefits or Longriders over Axer:
  • I get to use a unit!
  • I get to use Cav!
  • Speed (I can flank and freeze)
  • Reach (Axer can Thresher but these guys can reach 2")
  • Large Base (Winter Troll's animus extends 2" beyond base giving an effective ~28" area* for Freezer)
  • Slams (I can push people around and [hopefully] knock them down)
  • Wounds (I *think* they have 8 wounds a piece as opposed to an Axer)


How would this do versus the Vlad list?
Well, Vlad would have Blood of Kings up at all times, which would mean more movement, more hittiness and (i think) more defense. Vlad would *not* have Wind Wall up which would mean he would have (3 or 4?) more Focus per turn to use to smack me around. This will also mean more flak from the Behemoth, however I think I can neuter him (Behemoth) with the slamming Yaks from hell.
Drakhun, well, Drakhun's a pain in the ass. He'll be able to "Drakhun-ball" but thank god he won't be able to get over my Longriders (large bases FTW!) His large number of wounds will be hard to get around. Perhaps I can have the Mauler knock him off his horse and toss him. Once he's dismounted he can be knocked down, so tossing him aside is possible. I can still Borka-Bomb and hopefully get the kill there.
Alten Ashley will be a pain in the ass if I can't get in range picking off whole aspects of my beefy-Trolls.

He also played Irusk in a previous game. Irusk will make a caster kill difficult with his rough-terrain spell as I have nothing to give me the ability to charge through it. Perhaps against Irusk an Axer would be more viable.
In his Irusk list he played Eiryss. I haven't seen Eiryss much and only can think that she's in there for the Phantom Bolt as I think the rest of her bolts are 'jack specific.
The rest of the Irusk list mirrored the Vlad list.
I think the Irusk list would be the harder to take down as I would need to be able to handle the Behemoth, Drakhun *AND* the Inhospitable Ground casting Irusk.

I need to look into whether a Warbeast can Headbutt without a "head weapon".
Also need to know if a model who stands up and forfeits their action if they can cast.

*50mm base = 2" diameter, 2" on either side of the base = 6" diameter, 3" radius. The area of a 3" radius circle = Pi*(3"^2) = Pi*(9) = 3.14*9 = 28.26". However this includes the area of the base. So we would have to figure the "blind spot" of the spell which would be the 2" diameter base. 2" diameter = 1" radius. Area of the 1" radius base would be 3.14". We subtract the 28.26-3.14 to get a 25.12" area of usable board space for the spell. A little more math will show that a model with a large base (50mm) will have a 4.47" frontage and I don't have the patience to figure out the actual area of that.

No comments: